210301 or later
- monome grid (64 or 128, all editions -- 256 works too, just half-used)
- monome arc (made for 4-encoder)
- OP-Z (setup notes)
- Midi Fighter Twister: cc-mft.mfs
- Launchpad, Push 2, or other device supported by midigrid
- TouchOSC for the cheat codes 2 template (many thanks to
@carlosunch for helping update the cheat codes 1 template and keeping this part of the project alive!)
- any device which sends midi
- max for live: cc-osc.amxd
- Just Friends
there are a number of ways into learning cheat codes!
supplemental video material released alongside updates
patch 210315patch 210307rev 210303rev 210227rev 201222patch 201203patch 201129rev 201128patch 201119
- rnd's weren’t restoring correctly when a collection was reloaded. now they are!
CPU optimization + 64/midigrid live rec fix
- refined the waveform redraw during live recording to reduce CPU by about 10% when recording
- fixed an errant 64-grid live recording issue
threshold live input recording + general improvements
- threshold recording (ty @infinitedigits for code examples in oooooo and for the nice params reveal mechanism in the latest norns update)
- on 64-sized grids (monome or midigrid), switching banks will switch views of applicable on-screen menus (ty @cuberoo for mentioning this during the workshop)
- groundwork for speed dial (more coming)
- ghost clicks getting into the live buffer upon script startup
MIDI CC messages could be sent to devices which weren’t meant to listen (ty @bc3 for report!)
- pattern recording now shows bars instead of distro (ty @SPIKE for suggestion!)
- arp refresh built into the arp clear function to avoid needing to go through menus to restart if the arp clock dies
macros, transport, midigrid, midi config, w/synth, even more
too much to describe, see lines
MIDI notes + Just Friends voices
- MIDI note output!
- Just Friends voice output!
- a TON of mappable MIDI triggers + mods in params!
- random recording probability per live segment
- feedback % per live segment
- control pads from either a single external MIDI channel or multiple external MIDI channels (previously was only multiple) -- this fixes issues related to Launchpad + Midi Fighter button-boxes. thank you for debugging help @leolodreamland + @fourhoarder
- arps other than
fwd now restart correctly after being paused! thank you for the report, @sno!
- live segment recording behaves more predictably when using random triggering (oxymoron, I know, but previous behavior was buggy)
- lowercase alt can perform focus hold (ty @bloc + @888m)
- if MFT doesn't have a port, ignore it until one is assigned (ty @mattlowery)
- restored OP-Z encoder control over parameters
64 grid compatibility
- 64 grid support (see PARAMS > GRID): main performance and delay pages! more controls to come.
- 1-shot Live rec latency offset: if you're recording into cheat codes from another computer's DAW, you'll likely see some latency in 1-shot mode. this is expected, so the
latency offset parameter allows you to compensate for this in 10ms increments, up to 1 second. ymmv, but an easy way to determine a good value to is record in 1-shot mode without this compensation and see how many 0.01s increments it takes to align an auto-chopped pad to the start of the recorded sample. match the latency compensation to this number of increments and you'll be set for the rest of the session!
- brought back
manual control parameters for folks wishing to map a static slider to current pad's start/end points
- laid the foundation for a
# submenu to the
[loops] menu, not accessible in this update tho
- arc window parameter now calculate correctly
- Live rec behaviors (loop or 1-shot) are unique per Live segment
- changing rec loop encoder resolution snaps all segments to appropriate values
- auto-slice zilchmo gesture now checks for pads' segment assignment and auto-chops pads appropriately to the segment's start and end points (previously, was just checking with the current rec focus start/end points)
- more fluid buffer jumping
- arc LEDs now scale appropriately across all buffers (thank you @swhic!)
- arc movements now update waveform
- arc pattern recorder can switch between foci
- E2 on timing > arc patterns > loop(w) switches between loop(w), loop(s), and loop(e)
- arc pattern playback can have variable rate
- after recording an arc pattern, hold K1 on timing > arc patterns to reveal pattern playback rate
- use E3 while holding K1 to adjust playback rate (1/10th speed to 10x)
- 1x works on all pads in non-focus mode
- focus hold unlocks crow pad toggle
- bright key next to zilchmo 3 when in focus hold mode
- determines whether a pad execution should send a pulse out of the crow output, if timing > pad pattern > crow pulse is set to
- fixed some local alt issues (thank you @bloc!)
- @tyleretters for helping me build the yet-to-be-released docs website (more on this soon) and talking through life every few weeks
- @mbutz for establishing such clear methods of grid docs, which served as the backbone to the PDF above
- @DuellingAnts, @glia, @CarlosUnch, @yoyosandshoes, @zanderraymond, @MatthewAshmore, @Quasi, @andrew, @ypxkap, @PaulFe, @Olivier, @edison, @pfig, @noiserock, and everybody else who tested, contributed feedback, gave encouragement, and shared artifacts while this script was coming together, falling apart, stalling out, ramping up, and finally released. each of you has a fingerprint on this thing. i’m so thankful for your time + warmth.
- @tehn + @zebra for initiating norns, developing softcut, and building the patterns of musical inquiry and creative code that have inspired so so so many artists to build, deconstruct, and share. i am deeply grateful for each of your work. you’ve improved + impacted my life so much for those who are able, please buy a few coffees for ezra. cheat codes wouldn’t exist without softcut, which ezra built.