this update is focused on performance + maintainability. no new features, but there are a few bug fixes sprinkled in.
IMPORTant: users of the previous version will need to delete the script & reinstall in order for the update to function
IMPORTant: includes engine changes. please SYSTEM > RESET after updating
FIX: performance issues
a lot of people brought up timing issues with note input & pattern playback on the grid. there was some similar lag going on with the encoders + on-screen UI. this update fixes all of that! things are butter-smooth as they should be
the deets: I narrowed down all these issues to one file: the core code that runs my UI library, nest_. the current version is kind of a mess & I’m not surprised that it’s slowing things down. luckily, I have a rewrite/redesign in the works, & so far it’s running great !
I didn’t test things super in-depth so it’s hard to say whether the engine code was contributing to performance issues. but I knew that my solution to multi-phonic voice architecture was creating more resources than necessary, and I wasn’t using those features in this app (my plans for using this feature kinda got cancelled as soon as I bought a crow). so, for posterity + future maintainability I decided to simplify the engine code, using PolySub as a mold
FIX: voices being freed prematurely with certain span settings. much much better percussive sounds now (!)
FIX: clamp crinkle to a logical, not crashing range